Thursday, June 19, 2014

Potty Training 101

When I adopted Lucy I don't think I realized how much work would truly be involved in "raising" her. I did have my work cut out for me, and she was still a puppy when I got her (8 months old). Friends told me I needed to get her trained as soon as possible, but I was only concerned with one kind of training: potty training. Since Lucy was a stray, I had no idea about what kind of past she had and if she had had any training. At first it seemed like she knew she was supposed to go potty outside, but then the accidents just kept happening. I can tell you that constant accidents in the house are just about the most irritating thing about having a dog. Of course I am a HUGE sucker for animals, especially this one, so I can never stay mad at her. Just look at that face!


In the beginning, my potty training efforts clearly weren't working. I would let Lucy outside, and then she would come inside and go to the bathroom. Of course when she went it was always on the carpet. I guess that's how it goes. It seemed like every time I turned my head she was going inside! I was getting overwhelmed and frustrated. When I first got her she was having stomach issues, and I would wake up to find diarrhea all over her crate (I was crate training her). It was just a constant clean up effort. It was more stressful because I was living in a house that belonged to someone else.

I asked friends and family for what worked for them and their pets. I even consulted with the vet. The vet told me I had to keep Lucy in the crate every minute that I wasn't actively watching her. That was tough for me. Since dogs don't want to go where they sleep, they will rarely go in their crate. I felt bad keeping her in the crate so much since she was also in the crate while I was gone, but it worked! I also changed what I was doing while I let her out. Before, I would just let her out in the backyard and then let her in. The vet explained that I needed to go out there with her and make sure that she goes. The leaves going by or the wind blowing could easily distract her, and she could forget why she is out there. Luckily, making these small changes has helped me get her completely potty trained! Of course accidents happen, but now they are far and few between! And you could say I am a little bit more patient. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment