As the proud mother of this little "fur baby", there is nothing I wouldn't do for her. When I picked her out at the Cobb County Animal Control, I saw that she had some patches on her the hair had fallen out. I didn't think it would be a big deal. One of the employees there told me that the animals are screened for any major issues, but he said I should take her to the vet after adoption. I ended up taking her to the vet within the week of adoption so that I could take advantage of a half-off vet visit coupon I got from the pound. I could go to one of the vets listed on the coupon. The first time I went to the vet with Lucy I went to Butler Creek Vet in Kennesaw. The vet diagnosed Lucy with a skin infection. I held off on getting a skin scrape done. The antibiotics I had to give her needed to be given to her every eight hours. Because I was gone during the day at work, one dose had to be given to her at 2:30 a.m.! This was also during potty training, so every night at 2:30 for two weeks I would give her the medicine and then also take her outside. It was exhausting!
![]() |
| Lucy at her first vet visit |
Unfortunately the redness came back, so I took her back to the vet. This time I took her to Town & Country in Marietta because I came across another coupon for a half-off visit from a trainer at Petco. This time the vet did a skin scrape and confirmed that Lucy has demodectic mange. This is a parasitic mite that lives in the hair follicles. The mite is passed from mother to puppy during birth. This type of mange is not contagious. Apparently all dogs have this mite, but the population can grow out of control if the immune system is compromised. I also found out that this condition can be worse in pit bulls (and she is part pit bull). The vet put her on antibiotics for the skin infection that is usually present with mange as well as ivermectin (also used as heartworm medicine). The vet also put her on two months of vitamins to boost her immune system. Almost $200 later I was feeling optimistic that it would clear up even though the vet said we may have to do a more aggressive treatment.
Lucy's condition improved for a few months, but then it came back even worse! I took her to yet another vet, Banfield Pet Hospital in Petsmart. This one was close to my house, and office visits were only $39. I also liked that they were open on Sundays. The vet recommended a more aggressive treatment, the mitaban dip, a pesticide that kills the mange. Unfortunately, however, Lucy would have to get four to six dips to battle her severe case of mange. Each visit cost me almost $100! I would drop her off and pick her up, sometimes getting up at 5:30 a.m. to drop her off before work. Lucy still has one more dip, and then they will do another skin scrape to see what the levels of mange look like. It feels like it's a never-ending ordeal, and I just want Lucy to get better! One thing is for sure though. There is nothing I wouldn't do and no amount I wouldn't pay for my baby!


No comments:
Post a Comment